Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 10:26:52 -0700
From:      "Devin Teske" <dteske@vicor.com>
To:        "'Alexander Best'" <arundel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        'Bruce Cran' <bruce@cran.org.uk>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "'Teske, Devin'" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   RE: [UPDATE] host-setup(1): a dialog(1)-based utility for configuring FreeBSD

There are no equivalents to either the `--hline' or `--hfile' options.

Compare the 8.2-RELEASE manual to the 9-CURRENT manual:

8.2-RELEASE:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dialog&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Free
BSD+8.2-RELEASE&format=html

9-CURRENT:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dialog&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Free
BSD+9-current&format=html

When comparing the above man-pages, issues include:

OLD SYNTAX: --hline line
NEW SYNTAX: Not available anymore?!
ISSUE: No longer capable of setting string to be displayed at bottom of dialog
box (exact opposite of --title).

OLD SYNTAX: --hfile file
NEW SYNTAX: Not available anymore?!
ISSUE: No longer capable of setting a file to be displayed by pressing either ?
or F1.

OLD SYNTAX: --yesno text height width [yes|no]
NEW SYNTAX: --yesno text height width
ISSUE: Optional fourth argument to change default selection no longer accepted?!
DISCUSS: Without fourth argument to change default selection, is the programmer
expected to finagle this by using common-options `--no-label YES' and
`--yes-label NO' and change logic to treat NO as YES and vice-versa?

OLD SYNTAX: --prgbox command height width
NEW SYNTAX: Not available anymore?!
ISSUE: No longer capable of displaying output of command in dialog box?
DISCUSS: As an alternative, I guess we could output the text to a temporary file
and then use --textbox

OLD SYNTAX: --ftree file FS text height width menu-height
NEW SYNTAX: Not available anymore?!
ISSUE: No longer capable of displaying a tree described by the data from `file'
(which should contain find(1) output).
DISCUSS: There appears to be no analog (this is an informational dialog that
takes no user input opposed to --dselect and --fselect which are for taking user
input in the new dialog; guess we're just out of luck on these ones).

OLD SYNTAX: --tree FS text height width menu-height [ item ] ...
NEW SYNTAX: Not available anymore?!
ISSUE: No longer capable of displaying a tree described by a series of
arguments?
DISCUSS: Like --ftree, there appears to be no analog.

Don't get me wrong... the new dialog *adds* more options than it takes away (or
breaks). However, it's frustrating that backward compatibility is not being
retained. On a side-note, I notice that my CentOS 4.7 system is running a dialog
that matches syntax exactly with what was imported into RELENG_9 (this is a
great thing -- meaning I can write dialog(1) based scripts that are compatible
with both Linux and FreeBSD with very little effort). Though I'd still like to
see the gaps filled so that we could also run legacy dialog(1) based scripts
designed for the [8.x and] older dialog(1).
--
Devin

> > > --
> > > Bruce Cran

> > The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
confidential. If
> you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all
copies;
> (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii)
notify