Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 09:45:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dual boot support?

I'm trying to set up a dual boot - Win9x/FreeBSD-CURRENT system, and
getting some odd behavior. The goal is to have four partitions - one
FreeBSD, one Win9x, one for other things (BeOS? Linux? Win2K?), and
one large DOS partition to share between them. The system disk is a
10gig UDMA drive, and the partitions are 3 at 2G, and one at 4Gig.

The system *does* dual boot - but it's a PITA. I have to leave the
standard Win9x MBR in place and just use fdisk on the currently
booting system to set the active partition. Both systems boot just
fine, and everyone is happy.

However, boot0 and all the alternative boot managers on the
4.0-RELEASE cds all fail to boot the second partition. It doesn't
matter which OS is on the second partition - the boot managers won't
boot the OS from that partition, whether it's FreeBSD or
Win9x. boot0cfg is apparently installing the new version 1.1 boot0,
but I get the same result from it as well.

I'm probably missing something obvious - could someone tell me what it
is?

	Thanx,
	<mike