Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:41:23 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/sys/socket.h errors

> I'm tried to compile gdict, but I keep getting errors about socket.h and
> inet.h
>
> gcc -Wall -O2 `gtk-config --cflags` `gtk-config --libs` gdict.c -o gdict
> In file included from gdict.c:15:
> /usr/include/sys/socket.h:139: parse error before `u_char'

It's only a couple of weeks since this was last answered here.
The first step in solving this kind of basic compilation problem
is to read the man pages.  If you do, you'll see that you must
include <sys/types.h> *before* <sys/socket.h>.

The second thing is to learn to be a bit discriminating in the
choice of what to include in your questions.  The first error
line was all that was needed -- the million lines that followed
added nothing and could have been omitted comfortably.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>