Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:17:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCO, Linux

Since I also get logical, down to earth answers from the BSD group let me
ask you the following questions:

1) Why is it that most senior Unix admin people have a dislike for SCO ? I
mean it has the largest install base of any Intel based commerical Unix
system (that's SCO words)

2) After about 6-8 months of check the Unix job market in Toronto, the
demand goes something like this:
1) SunOS/Solaris
2) HP-UX
3) AIX
4) SCO Unix

I think SCO Unix user base is under heavy attack from NT, RedHat, and
Caldera.

3) In some point in the future, what will happen when Caldera, and Redhat
wants to control their own destiny (i.e. control the kernel)

4) Not to bash Linux, I like it and I use sometimes, but if you want to be
a Unix System admin, is it not better to do the following

FreeBSD - to learn about BSD based systems, I mean everything you learn
here can be applied to any BSD based Unix system, including SunOS. That
looks good on any job application.

Unixware - It's free but it is also a true SysV/R4, and now SysV/R5
system. That also looks good on any job application.

What I am saying, here is when you walk into a Unix shop, chances are you
will see BSD or Sys V Unix.

Paul Griffith - paulg@interlog.com