Date:      16 May 1999 11:07:19 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        wayne@crb-web.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to build kernel after cvsup

Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com> writes:

> Ok I used the supfile from the handbook and decided to pull down the entire
> source tree.(src-all)  When I try to configure the GENERIC kernel 'config
> GENERIC' I get this message
>
> >config: can't open ../conf/devices.i386
>
> Why does this happen and how can a build a new kernel from the cvsupped
> sources?

Config gets out of date as things get moved around, and you don't
really want a kernel that's inconsistant with the rest of you system
anyway.

You don't mention what version of FreeBSD you currently have installed
or which set of sources (2.2-stable, 3-stable, 4-current) you're
trying to build a kernel from.  You almost certainly need to do a
'make world', to update your system binaries, and may need to do use
one of the more specialized targets 'aout-to-elf' or 'upgrade'.  Then
build your new kernel.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.