Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 20:23:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Subject:   Re: DPT install problem

On 22-May-98 Mike Smith wrote:

>>   Currently it is pretty hard to bootstrap a new DPT system.  You have
>> be able to build a kernel somewhere else as sysinstall will install a
>> non-DPT kernel, and you can't use sysinstall to allocate large DPT
>> partitions.  I fear for the new user.
>
> New users are less than likely to be presented with such a situation.
>
> However, there are a couple of things that you personally (and other
> concerned users) can do to help the situation.
>
>  - Contribute commentary (as you have), documentation and source/
>    procedural fixes.  Remeber that FreeBSD is a volunteer project -
>    your support means that it will continue to improve.
>  - Donate a DPT controller to our testing pool so that we can test
>    with it. Chances are we can scrape enough disks together in one
>    place to meet the 20GB mark if we have one.

I recently donated TWO DPT controllers and FIVE disk drives.  They went to
two separate FreeBSD prominent figures, but still do not add up to 20GB.

I will add this sort of test to my regression testing.  But, as I said, I
mostly test on 3.0-current and do not see this problem there.

An ajacent problem, is that fsck will fail on such filesystems.
The failure mode is fsck -p in /etc/rc.  It does not have, by default
enough resources to run a large parallel fsck.  I added the following to
/etc/rc:

swapon -a

if [ $1x = autobootx ]; then
        echo Automatic reboot in progress...
+        ulimit -t unlimited
+        ulimit -f unlimited
+        ulimit -d unlimited
+        ulimit -s unlimited
+        ulimit -c unlimited
+        ulimit -m unlimited
+        ulimit -l unlimited
        fsck -p

This (or its equivalent) may remove the problem from sysinstall.

Simon

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                           Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG