Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:48:27 +0200
From:      Michael Mauch <michael.mauch@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp server - again

Søren Neigaard wrote:

> Ok - I have settled for ftpd that ships with FreeBSD. My only problem
> is that it dosn't start at startup. I have found "/usr/libexec/ftpd",
> and I guess that is it. I don't know anything about how this works, so
> could anyone give me a primer on what makes inet deamons start at
> startup, I guess they don't work the same way as Apache (on server,
> with many threads), or?

Look into /etc/inetd.conf, there are already two lines:

#ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l
#ftp    stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l

right after the line:

# To enable a service, remove the '#' at the beginning of the line.

And "man inetd" has:

  The inetd program rereads its configuration file when it receives a
  hangup signal, SIGHUP. Services may be added, deleted or modified when
  the configuration file is reread.

So after your changes in the inetd.conf, you can "killall -HUP inetd"
to let inetd know about the changes.

Apache is normally not started by inetd, because its startup is too
slow (and Apache can "cache" things like database connections etc.).

Regards...
		Michael