Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:44:40 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New drive works fine as #3 drive, but won't boot! Even followed Manual directions

Hi,

I am trying to replace my current SCSI #0 drive with a new one.

I used the method as described in the manual,

        dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd2 bs=1k count=1
        disklabel -Brw sd1 auto
        disklabel -e sd2

Created new partitions,
		in this case,
		sd2a		#root
		sd2b		#swap
		sd2c		#whole disk
		sd2d		#usr
		sd2e		#var

	and did 'newfs -d0' on
		/dev/rsd2a
		/dev/rsd2d
		/dev/rsd2e

then,
	mount /dev/sd2a  /mnt
	mkdir /mnt/usr
	mkdir /mnt/var
	mount /dev/sd2d /mnt/usr
	mount /dev/sd2e /mnt/var

then
	cd /mnt
	dump 0f - / | restore rf -
	cd usr
	dump 0f - /usr | restore rf -
	cd ../var
	dump 0f - /var | restore rf -

then, because this will be the NEW primary drive,
	cd /mnt/etc
	edit fstab

	/dev/sd0b	none	swap 	sw 0 0
	/dev/sd0a	/	ufs	rw 1 1
	/dev/sd0d	/usr	ufs	rw 1 1
	/dev/sd0e	/var	ufs	rw 1 1

	and so on, leaving the other entries as they are, for the cd and second normal
hdd. (sd1)

then
	umount /dev/sd2e, sd2d, sd2a
	shutdown -h now

then
	disable original SCSI hdd, and change NEW hdd's jumpers so it is now SCSI
ID#0, and unterminated, because the cable itself is actively terminated with a
plugpack, the other end is terminated on the AHA card.

	So, now everything looks like the original, only bigger. The original is 1.2
GB, this one is 3.2GB.

Power up.... nada.

The AHA card recoginses the new HDD, and finds both the new drive and the
normal second drive.
It waits a while, then flicks to the BIOS display, memory and all that, then
hangs for a few minutes, then blanks the screen with a message in the top left
hand corner, PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT.

The system see's the new drive fine as a third drive in the chain, but REFUSES
to boot from it. Obviously I'm doing something wrong... but what.

One last caveat..  I can't use /stand/sysinstall. This is 2.2-SNAP, and it
simply refuses to do anything intelligent. It want to reinstall everything on
the primary drive, sets screen colors so the whle thing is unreadable, and is a
VERY DANGEROUS utility to use! so I simply wont use it on a live system. I
don't use DOS, not will I ever on this system, so I'm trying to set up a
dedicated FreeBSD system, using correct partitions.

So the question is: How do I make this new drive bootable in a Pentium 200, so
I can replace the old drive?

Thanks for any help... it will be much appreciated.

bob