Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2003 22:05:11 +0300
From:      Oles Hnatkevych <don_oles@ukrtop.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   like ip nat outside

Hello, freebsd-questions.

Suppose I have a point-to-point link from box1 to the other box2.
Having a goal to be able to go from the network where box1 resides
("home network")
to the network behind box2 ("remote network") one usually sets up NAT on the interface
on the box1, so all packets to the box2 via PPP link go with altered
addresses. It works is the IP address on PPP interface of box1 gets
addressed on the "remote" network behind box2. Let's call it "nat inside".

There's wonderful solution called slirp that slightly resembles
this scheme but the NAT happens on the box2 by the slirp program,
so this looks like "nat outside", and actually that's more funny,
since nothing can reach box1 from the "remote network", and
this way box1 does not have to be addressed from the "remote network"

Now, the question:

How I make "nat outside" with the normal PPP link on
/dev/tun interfaces? Is it possible with ipnat or with natd?
Can't get it clear if it's possible at all...

Thanks in advance for help.

--
 Oles                          mailto:don_oles@ukrtop.com