Date:      Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:54:44 +0100
From:      Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   8.1-RELEASE-px freebsd-update buildkernel installkernel question

Hi

Since a while I notice on some 8.1-RELEASE machines that after a buildkernel
and installkernel, besides the old kernel being moved to /boot/kernel.old,
it also seems to get copied /boot/kernel.old1. I update most servers with
freebsd-update which also update the sources from which the new kernel is
being built.

With ls -l I can see this kernel.old1 directory is no symlink nor the files
in it are symlinks.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

A second question is why does is the output from du different for
kernel.old1 like shown below?

qa:/usr/src # du -h /boot/kernel.old1/
 41M    /boot/kernel.old1/
qa:/usr/src # du -h /boot/
 24K    /boot/defaults
2.0K    /boot/firmware
 41M    /boot/kernel
2.0K    /boot/modules
2.0K    /boot/zfs
245M    /boot/GENERIC
 41M    /boot/kernel.old
 12K    /boot/kernel.old1
329M    /boot/
qa:/usr/src # uname -a
FreeBSD qa.ose.nl 8.1-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p7 #4: Tue Jan  3
08:32:42 CET 2012     Freebee@qa.ose.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QA  amd64

Thanks in advance.
Bas

Disclaimer: http://www.ose.nl/email