Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:16:20 -0800
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sandbox clarification.

I recently posted a question about running named in a sandbox vs in a
chrooted environment.

the named.conf sample that came with my 4.2-sable install, contains wording
that leads one to believe a 'sandbox' is equivalent to running named as in
unpriviliged user, since it claims that named runs in a sandbox by default
and asks you to see the named_flags in rc.conf (defaults we are left to
assume) where again there are some commented out lines that enable running
named as an unpriviliged user.  man security also  refers to these commented
out lines as where you enable running named in a sandbox.  However, the
named flag -t is not in the named.conf example provided.

This is what led me to believe 'sandbox' = unpriviliged user, not, chrooted
or jailed environment.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll use the more clear terminology (unpriviliged
user, jail, chroot) rather than the lame sandbox descriptor in the future.

NOW,

if you are running named under an unpriviliged user, is it still a good idea
(worth the extra time and headache) to set it up to run in a chrooted
environment?

TIA encore

Peter Brezny
SysAdmin Services Inc.