Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 1998 15:56:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es (Jose M. Alcaide)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, pol@leissner.se, helbig@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOLVED: International characters in vi are displayed as hex?

> Wolfgang Helbig wrote:
> >
> > That's because the file LC_TIME is missing in the directory
> > /usr/share/locale/es_ES.ISO_8859-1.  If called with "LC_ALL",
> > setlocale(3) returns with an error ("No such file or directory")
> > without trying to load LC_CTYPE.
> >
> > So the fix is to provide a spanish LC_TIME file.  You find sources
> > for other LC_TIME files in /usr/src/share/timedef/data.  To build a
> > LC_TIME file from it's source, you only have to delete the comment
> > lines.
>
> This solution can be also applied to the other locales, such
> as sv_SE.ISO_8859-1. I have created the LC_TIME file for
> the spanish locale, and everything works fine now. Thanks Wolfgang!

You're welcome!

In the meantime I checked in your file into the -current source
tree, but didn't close the problem yet, because other LC_TIME files
are still missing. (See also problem conf/5409)

So I ask people from those countries to send me LC_TIME files (in
source form, i. e. with the comment lines like in
/usr/src/share/timedef/data/*.src).  You can test your files by
deleting the commentlines, installing it in the locale directory
(e. g. /usr/share/locale/es_ES...) setting the LANG environment
variable accordingly and running cal(1).

The LC_TIME files are missing for these locales:

fi_FI.ISO_8859-1
lt_LN.ASCII
lt_LN.ISO_8859-1
lt_LN.ISO_8859-2
nl_BE.ISO_8859-1
nl_NL.ISO_8859-1
sv_SE.ISO_8859-1

I do not know, what language/country lt/LN belongs to.  The others
are Finland, Belgium, Netherlands and Sveden. (at least that's what
I learned from /usr/share/misc/iso3166.)

Thanks again for your file, Jose
and thanks in advance for the others :-)

Wolfgang