Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2008 23:23:47 +0000
From:      Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with OpenOffice 2.3.1 on FreeBSD

O. Hartmann wrote:
> I use OpenOffice 2.3.1 on several hardwareplatforms running FreeBSD
> 7.0-PRE/AMD64 and since I upgraded OpenOffice from OO 2.3.0 to 2.3.1 I
> have massive problems, rendering OO unusuable! Before doing a PR I would
> like to aks whethere there is a solution out.
> Whenever I try to save a document in OO writer, OO gets stuck and I have
> to kill it. The document gets saved, but I never can load it again
> without rendering OO unusuable. Opening M$ Word docs or OO docs doesn't
> matter.
> This breakage is identical on all of my systems I run OO 2.3.1 on, they
> all have in common running FreeBSD 7.0-PRE, being 64 Bit, having
> diablo-1.5-JDK installed. This behaviour even occurs on a freshly
> installed box.
>
> Any ideas? This is a serious situation to me, due to the need of a
> properly working OO :-(
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

I had a similar problem on my i386 - openoffice would hang using lots of
CPU when opening or saving a file. After a recent ports update
(csup/portmanager) it has gone away.

%uname -a
FreeBSD eco 7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Dec 31
00:44:10 GMT 2007     root@eco:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MYKRNL01  i386

%pkg_info -Ix openoffice
en-openoffice.org-GB-2.3.1

%head -5 /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-2/Makefile
# New ports collection makefile for: OpenOffice.org
# Date created:         28 February 2002
# Whom:                 Martin Blapp
#
# $FreeBSD: ports/editors/openoffice.org-2/Makefile,v 1.292 2007/12/07
23:55:16 maho Exp $

Also I am using java/jdk15 not java/diablo-jdk15.

Somehow I did manage to save a file with the faulty port. When I tried
to open it with the later version it did the same trick but on second
opening it worked fine.

portmanager will create packages as well so you can roll them out to the
other machines.

Chris