Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:44:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@qubesoft.com>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb0 not resuming and APM/ACPI weirdness

> The old "usb0: host controller halted" problem has returned
> to my laptop after resume for suspend-to-disk on the latest current
> for some time.  After resume, usb0 floods my /var/log/messages
> with thousands of the same messages.

This is most probably a problem related to ACPI, it suspending the USB
host controller when suspending and the USB driver getting it wrong when
unsuspending. I have no idea how to fix this.

Maybe someone who knows ACPI could shed a light on this?

> Also, when I booted the following kernel, my keyboard/mouse refuses
> to respond.  No response to anything I type or do, no suspend, no
> ctrl-alt-del, no ddb.  The system runs fine otherwise, I can connect
> via logging in from other machines and such.  But that kind of defeats
> the purpose of a laptop :)

I could use the output of dmesg. But the following in your kernel
config looks odd to me:

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
#device         atkbdc  1
#device         atkbd
#device         psm

You have a USB keyboard and mouse? If so, you will need to have it
attached during boot for it to be selected as the console keyboard, but
if you then disconnect the keyboard, you are stuffed.

Hope this helps,

Nick

> After returning to setting OS controlled ACPI off
> in BIOS and using APM kernel, things work fine, except that
> now I have this:  /dev/apm: Device not configured
> whether I do zzz or the fn+esc key combo, or even just cat /dev/apm
> It still suspends-to-disk fine.  But if I use an older src/sys ACPI kernel,
> even suspend-to-disk doesn't respond (keyboard works with this kernel).
>
> Source date:
> FreeBSD iterative.iteration.net 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Oct 28
> 04:42:05 CDT 2000     root@iterative.iteration.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/ITERATIVE.APM  i386
>
> System:
> Sony VAIO Z505JS
>
> attached ITERATIVE.ACPI is the kernel config that doesn't respond to keyboard.
>
> --

Qube Software, Ltd.                                             Private:
n_hibma@qubesoft.com                              n_hibma@webweaving.org
                                                     n_hibma@freebsd.org
http://www.qubesoft.com/                   http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/