Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 07:28:37 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IMAP

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C06731.CE0582E0

I'd appreciate comments on the following=20

I receive several hundred emails per day into 7 different email accounts =
and I believe I need to install some renditition of IMAP in order that =
Netscape will work with multiple mail accounts. I have to date =
configured the LAN here so that all email ends up in a Win2000 / Outlook =
Express system, mainly because its very straightforward to configure =
with POP3. (yes I know its ustable & stuffs up the formatting)=20

The problem with Netscape, at least to 4.7, (haven't found much real =
info on 6 yet) is that it doesn't recognize more than one POP3 account & =
apparently the only solution is to resort to IMAP on the local =
mailserver.
I've looked at both cyrus & imap-uw. Cyrus doesn't appear to be viable =
as its documentation is so sparse that I haven't a clue about =
configuring it, and I'm concerned about potential security issues with =
imap-uw.=20

Another alternative I considered was to run pine on the server & access =
it via SSH ...... discounted that because it seems impractical to run =
7different accounts & printing anything in Microsoft format (yes some =
people in industry do use that occasionally) is a marathon effort.

Are there other ways I haven't thought of to get this sorted out ??

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C06731.CE0582E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'd appreciate comments on the =
following=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I receive several hundred emails per =
day into 7=20
different email accounts and </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I =
believe I need to=20
install some renditition of IMAP in order that Netscape will work with =
multiple=20
mail accounts. I have to date configured the LAN here so that all email =
ends up=20
in a Win2000 / Outlook Express system, mainly because its very =
straightforward=20
to configure with POP3. (yes I know its ustable &amp; stuffs up the =
formatting)=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The problem with Netscape, at least to =
4.7,=20
(haven't found much real info on 6 yet) is that it doesn't recognize =
more than=20
one POP3 account &amp; apparently the only solution is to resort to IMAP =
on the=20
local mailserver.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've looked at both cyrus &amp; =
imap-uw. Cyrus=20
doesn't appear to be viable as its documentation is so sparse that I =
haven't a=20
clue about configuring it, and I'm concerned about potential security =
issues=20
with imap-uw. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Another alternative I considered was to =
run pine on=20
the server &amp; access it via SSH ...... discounted that because it =
seems=20
impractical to run 7different accounts &amp; printing anything in =
Microsoft=20
format (yes some people in industry do use that occasionally) is a =
marathon=20
effort.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Are there other ways I haven't thought =
of to get=20
this sorted out ??</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C06731.CE0582E0--