Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:33:48 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        lamont@abstractsoft.com
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Listening to all IP traffic (was: I asked this at one point, got no useful responses)

On Saturday, 16 January 1999 at 20:55:51 -0800, Sean T. Lamont   .lost. wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>> I am not sure I understand you. You want your machine to respond to all 32
>> bits of internet addressing? This makes little sense.
>
> Perhaps, but that's what I want to accomplish. Either you know how to do
> it or you don't.

Well, if you want to get results, why not use a subject line which
will encourage people to read it?  I'm not surprised you didn't get
any useful responses.

>>> I messed around a bit with NATD / IPDIVERT to see if I could get
>>
>> NATD will allow you to translate your local network addresses so that
>> machines with non-internet IPs can communicate with fully qualified
>> internet IPs.
>
> There is also something called address_redirect which looks like it might
> be tweaked to do the sort of translation I need.

Well, I missed the original message (probably deleted it because of
the subject line), but I tent to agree with Jason that this is an
unusual thing to want to do.  You haven't said why, but you can do
that with bpf.

Greg