Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 13:27:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen Beitzel <sbeitzel@foobie.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   su -m nobody

I've got junkbuster installed on a FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE machine, and I'm having
some trouble at startup time: the startup script that gets put in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d contains the following line:
su -m nobody -c "/usr/local/sbin/junkbuster configfile &"

But when the machine starts up execution halts at that line with a message:

mesg: /dev/ttyp0: Operation not permitted

I've checked /etc/passwd (with vipw) and there is an entry for user nobody.
But when I'm logged in as root, I can get this same error message just by
typing `su -m nobody` -- so is there some kind of trick I have to do to
make junkbuster run as an unprivileged process?

Steve