Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 20:36:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Why not check if the port is installed???

Hi!

I was installing some stuff in my ports and I was wondering why the 'make
install' was trying to install even thought the port was _already_
installed??? It compiles all and at last, when it comes to installing the
port itself, it checks if it is installed!

What I did is a 'make fetch' of all my ports/audio dir while I had the
time. But some of the packages were already installed. At that point it
didn't cause problems, the make was just skipping the packages that were
already downloaded/installed. But later I tried to make install, and it
stopped at the first (amp) after compiling all the port, because I
cleaned it after installing it before. So I specified FORCE_PKG_REGISTER
on the commandline to make them all install, but then it really installed
and compiled all the ports that were already installed!!!

Why isn't it a file like work/.configure_done for the install?! Or why
won't the install target checking for the package in the database???

Thanks a lot, and sorry if this is not clear...

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |