Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 02:30:10 +0900
From:      Shigio Yamaguchi <shigio@tamacom.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Shigio Yamaguchi <shigio@tamacom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU GLOBAL

> There are some types of software for which the GPL is the best license.
> In my opinion, programming tools of many sorts -- compilers, linkers,
> editors, assemblers -- fit into this category.  Contrary to what some

Tag system doesn't fit into this category?

> believe, we BSD'ers are not rabid GPL haters, we just don't like to see
> it attached to important pieces of software that developers might want
> to turn into a product, because that limits the audience.

I agree with you. But it depends on the part.
GPL may be a menace for kernel and library code, because once including
GPLed code then the whole of it must be distributed under GPL.
But GPLed command brings no problem, because the rest of the system just
"utilize" it, not "use it. GPL is not applied to "utilize". So the rest of
the system is safe from GPL.
--
Shigio Yamaguchi - Tama Communications Corporation
Mail: shigio@tamacom.com, WWW: http://www.tamacom.com