Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:30:15 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        (Christian Weisgerber) <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Audio: how to record something?

On 17-Feb-00 Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>  Presumably there are plenty of tools under ports/audio/. Where to
>  start?

Well, you can use cat or dd:)

cat /dev/audio >foo     - 8bit ulaw, 8kHz
cat /dev/dspW >foo      - 16bit linear, 8kHz (I think)

etc..

You can play them back by cat'ing them back to the appropriate device.

You could use sox to convert them to wav's..

I wrote my own program which does the right ioctl's on the device to change
rate, number of channels etc, but I'm sure programs exist to do this :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum