Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 15:08:07 +1300
From:      Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz
Subject:   Re: HP servers and FreeBSD?

Mike,

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 03:07:18PM -0500, Michael Lucas wrote:
> I've been offered a deal on a couple of HP servers.  Does anyone have
> any experience with the HP Netserver LC3 7/550?

I have just installed a 0222 current on a HP Kayak XU800. This is
one of the latest models. I'm experiencing problems with the builtin
SCSI adapter AIC-7892. It could be BIOS/firmware related, a regular
Adaptec works just fine. A detailed report will follow once I have
sorted out these issues.

> How about the HP Surestore DAT 12/24?

Can recommend. I'm running a DAT40i (that's the 40GB drive, native
20GB DAT4). No problems with FreeBSD 3.2 and 3.3. Just bear in mind
to use the proper tapes (DATn tapes for DATn density) for whatever
purpose you have in mind. Some people have *very* bad experience with
helical scan drives in general. If you have time to wait, perhaps one
of the upcoming tape technologies (LTO) could be a better choice.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Waikato Applied Network Dynamics 	Phone: +64 7 8384794