Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 12:02:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        John Madison Grant <johnq@grove.ufl.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configured irq 5 not in bbitmap of probed irqs 0

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>
> On Sunday, 16 May 1999 at  2:05:51 -0400, John Madison Grant wrote:
> > I am currently running FreeBSD 3.0. I have a USR Sporster 56k
> > modem in my computer. Under Win95 this modem is configured
> > on COM3 irq5 at 3e8h.
> >
> > I have been trying to reconfigure my kernel to recognize this
> > modem. I have tried various flags and combinations of ROM BIOS PnP
> > settings but I keep on getting the same error msg when the kernel
> > probes the irq at bootup:
> >
> > configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>
> This is saying that the device didn't generate an interrupt on IRQ 5
> when it should have.
>
> > Any suggestions on how to configure this driver would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> You should check that you don't have anything else on that IRQ.

I have a USR Sportster 33.6K modem that I experienced a similar
problem with.  I had an Asus socket-7 board with Award BIOS that I
used it on without problems.  When I installed my new Tyan BX Slot1
board with AMI LoseBIOS, the problem occurred.  I had the modem on
port 3E8 (COM3), IRQ 2/9.  I tried changing every IRQ related setting
in the BIOS and couldn't ever get it to work correctly.  I finally had
to disable the second COM port and stick the modem there using IRQ 3.
Has worked fine ever since I did that.  I really wish I could get it
to work on IRQ 2/9, but it might be impossible with this board/BIOS (I
don't even think it worked in Windows, so it doesn't appear to be a
FreeBSD problem).

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."