Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 08:34:07 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        Aaron Hill <fbsdlist@futureuse.net>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to recompile just tftpd?

--DIOMP1UsTsWJauNi

* Aaron Hill <fbsdlist@futureuse.net> [20010525 05:36]: writing on the subj=
ect 'How to recompile just tftpd?'
Aaron>=20
Aaron> Hello,
Aaron>=20
Aaron> I've made a modification to the tftpd server in FreeBSD at ...
Aaron>=20
Aaron> /usr/src/libexec/tftpd
Aaron>=20
Aaron> .... can someone tell me how I can recompile the tftpd source and in=
stall it?
Aaron>=20
Aaron>=20
Aaron> I've tried doing a make and it stops with this output ...
Aaron>=20
Aaron> [root@xxxx tftpd]# make
Aaron> cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/src/libexec/tftpd/../../usr.bin/tftp   -
Aaron> c /usr/src/libexec/tftpd/tftpd.c
Aaron> cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/src/libexec/tftpd/../../usr.bin/tftp   -
Aaron> c /usr/src/libexec/tftpd/../../usr.bin/tftp/tftpsubs.c
Aaron> cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/src/libexec/tftpd/../../usr.bin/tftp    -o tftpd=
=20
Aaron> tftpd.o tftpsubs.o  -lutil
Aaron> make: don't know how to make tftpd.1. Stop
Aaron>=20
Aaron>=20
Aaron> .... so I've tried doing a make depend first or a make depend and ma=
ke from=20
Aaron> the parent directory, libexec, but I can't get it going.
Aaron>=20
Aaron> This shouldn't be hard! What am I doing wrong?

Hello Aaron,
Have you ever built your systems from the sources?
By default, there is a tftpd in FreeBSD. All I did the other day was to
enable it in 3 steps:

in /etc/inetd.conf:

tftp  dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/libexec/tftpd   tftpd /usr/tftp

mkdir /usr/tftp
chown nobody:nogroup /usr/tftp

in /etc/hosts.allow:
tftpd : w.x.y.z/24 : allow
tftpd : ALL : deny

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

The only thing you have to note is that for you to upload a file to the
tftpd server, the filename MUST first exist! If you wanna load a file
named wash.test, then cd /usr/tftp && touch wash.test && chown
nobody:nogroup wash.test.

Hope that helps.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Wananchi Online Ltd.,
wash@wananchi.com 1st Flr Loita Hse

"Well, that was a piece of cake, eh K-9?"

"Piece of cake, Master?  Radial slice of baked confection ...
coefficient of relevance to Key of Time: zero."
		-- Dr. Who

--DIOMP1UsTsWJauNi

--DIOMP1UsTsWJauNi--