Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 18:11:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        smp@csn.net, opsys@mail.webspan.net, toor@dyson.iquest.net, jak@cetlink.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

Terry Lambert said:

> > > I was hoping to see SMP (in ANY form), kernel threads, RAID, and
> > > softupdates, and maybe some TCP stuff, SACK, etc..
> > > But RAID, and SMP, and softupdates isn't bad.
> >
> > I know this probably won't be good news for most, but I don't see SMP being
> > in 3.0:
>
> I think if this happens, it would be a good idea to relabel the 3.x
> branch to be the 2.3 or 2.x (x>2) branch, and reserve 3.0.

We have already discussed this in -core (I was a proponent of 2.5.X),
however now I believe that the right decision (due to lots of factors)
is to call it 3.0.

> I think whatever is released should support low granularity SMP, at
> the very least.  I would be *very* unhappy with having to bump the
> version number to 4.0 in the process (it implies too long a time frame,
> and it's frankly too large a number to allow the software to appear
> trustworthy, IMO.  Cv: SVR4).

Well, think of it like this:
	3.0 simple SMP.
	3.1	much better SMP.
	10.0 Terry SMP. :-).
	**.0 Terry BSD. :-).

Actually, people, Terry does have really good ideas in this area.  I think
that we would profit from a kernel meeting (Terry, DG, me, and others (hopefully
a few of our UK/European/OZ people also) who regularly work on structural issues.)
Even if we don't adopt everything that Terry says, I found his talk to be very
educational.  Maybe not worth a trip overseas by itself, but perhaps it might
be partial justification.  (Unless we could get Terry to write a document that
is intellegible at less than postdoc reading skills level. :-)).