Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:48:52 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        moritz <morix@freenet.nether.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routing with ipfw

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 08:46:50PM -0400, moritz wrote:
> hello,
>
> i want to make my freebsd machine route packets from my lan to the
> internet. i think it is ok to use ipfw and its easy to use, but every kind
> of documentation says i should work with the routing table and all that
> stff. i am a bit confused. what are the differences? do i have a wrong
> image of what a router is? please explain? and what is the best solution
> for my problem?

ipfw(8) does not do any routing. Routing daemons like routed(8) or
gated (in the ports) do routing. The kernel does routing, route(8),
netstat(1), etc.

If you just have a simple LAN that you want to connect to the
Internet, the routing is trivial. You typically only need configure
the interfaces correctly, ifconfig(8), know the default route, and it
will all just work fine.