Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:59:34 -0500
From:      Laurence Sanford <lauasanf@wilderness.homeip.net>
To:        "pobox@verysmall.org" <pobox@verysmall.org>
Cc:        Bob <bob@tania.servebbs.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When is BuildWorld necessary?

pobox@verysmall.org wrote:

> But I have one question - do you rebuild the world on a remote machine
> (without physical access) and if yes - how do you restart in single
> user mode. This is what I can't understand so far.
>
> Thanks,
> Iv

In 6 years, I've never dropped any machine to single user to do any part
of a buildworld upgrade. I've stopped many running services, but never
gone to single user. The only time I had any problems with this approach
was when I blindly flubbed versions in my supfile and cvsup'd a 6 system
with 4 source. That wasn't pretty. But it would have been not pretty in
single user mode as well.