Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:03:05 -0700
From:      Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   When stuff is in the lost+found directory

I accidentally slightly knocked the power switch on my computer, but enough
such that the machine ultimately decided it needed to reboot itself.  This
caused Hellacious problems on the file system; it made me run fsck manually,
which proceeded to find bunches of BAD/DUPLICATE entries, prompting me if
it should fix each one (I said yes).  I now have exactly 100 entries in the
/lost+found directory, some of which are apparently fairly important.  Ex:

FreeBSD/i386 (abc.def.xyz) (ttyv0)

Login: root
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcrypt.so.2" not found

FreeBSD/i386 (abc.def.com) (ttyv0)

Login:

My question is, if I boot from a floppy and mount the hard drive somewhere,
is there a way to find out where all these entries in /lost+found (they're
fairly contiguous (e.g. #206393 to #206482 and a scattering of others))
really belong?

Specifics:

ASUS P2B
Intel P200 with Pentium F00F
Adaptec AHA-2940U2W
Seagate ST32550N with one swap, one all-encompassing root partition
FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE from the WC November 1998 CD

This is basically a "play" system ('til 3.0 goes stable) so I'll end up
reinstalling everything if I can't figure this out.  (Read: no backups.)

Chris