Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 01:27:06 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Xavier de Labouret <zezaz@chez.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking 4-stable rather than 4.8-stable

--Boundary-02=_QFV0+j/vWHg3ESo

On Sunday 25 May 2003 22:48, Xavier de Labouret wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to follow 4-stable on my FreeBSD box, and i can't fetch
> binaries from /stand/sysinstall. Can anyone help me?

[...]

> So,  i tried to upgrade from within '/stand/sysinstall' by FTP.

Don't use sysinstall, portupgrade and pkg_fetch are smarter than sysinstall=
=20
and will fetch the latest available -stable packages from the right locatio=
n=20
off the ftp-servers.

Install and update the ports-collection with cvsup. Install=20
sysutils/portupgrade, then use portupgrade with the option -P to update you=
r=20
ports/packages (-P will fetch a package if it's at all available, otherwise=
=20
it will compile from source, -PP will only use packages and fail it none is=
=20
available). For example 'portupgrade -aPP' would update all (-a) your=20
installed ports and packages by trying to download packages (-P) and fail i=
f=20
there is no package available for the current version of a port in the=20
ports-tree (-PP). For more details, see the portupgrade manpage.

Packages for -stable are updated on a regular basis, but only ever so often=
=2E=20
Don't expect a package to be available in the order of days after a port ha=
s=20
been upgraded.

=2D-=20
| Michael Nottebrock	    |	   KDE on FreeBSD	| 		,ww   |
| michaelnottebrock@gmx.net | 		---		|	,wWWCybaWW_)  |
|	   ---		    |  http://freebsd.kde.org	| free	 `WSheepW'    |
| http://tigress.com/lofi   | 		---		| node	   II  II     |

--Boundary-02=_QFV0+j/vWHg3ESo