Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:53:59 +0200
From:      Yann Berthier <yb@sainte-barbe.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   snmp port

   Hi list,

   I wrote to the maintainer of the net/net-snmp port 2 weeks ago, but
   he must be very busy. So, to the point :

   By default, the net-snmp port installs the
   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snmpd.sh scripts, which binds a snmpd daemon on
   every interfaces.

   The point is, I suppose many install this port to have the client
   part rather than to have an snmp agent on their FreeBSD box. While
   this is not a big deal, I think anyway this is not a good idea, and
   that many users are and will be bitten by this behavior. I don't
   think it's a good idea to have a port which is for many a client only
   one bind by default on a network port. So the options are:

   1. installation of /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snmpd.sh.sample only and let
   the users needing an snmpd agent to have to know how to launch the
   snmpd daemon. See 3
   2. divide the port in a client part and a server one. This means more
   work for the maintainer
   3. bind the snmpd daemon on the loopback interface only, and let the
   ones who need an agent to configure it regarding their needs. After
   all if they don't know how to do that one can suppose they have
   nothing to do with an snmpd daemon no ? :)

   I have no preference, and I am definitly not the maintainer of this
   port, but I would like to know what other people think about this
   minor issue.

   regards,

   - yann

   PS : keep me cc:ed, I am not on the list