Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:46:48 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/tty and nits in 2.2-960501-SNAP

> Throwing caution to the wind I've just overwritten my 2.1R system
> with the 2.2-960501-SNAP.
>
> Things I note thus far:
>
> # ls -l /dev/tty
> crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    1,   0  5 Jun 10:16 /dev/tty
>
> really wants to be:
>
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    1,   0  5 Jun 10:16 /dev/tty
>
> otherwise xterm cannot open it. Breaking xterm is a Bad Thing (tm).

Something is wrong, but not in 2.2 source. From 2.2 MAKEDEV:
	mknod tty	c 1 0;	chmod 666 tty;		chown root.wheel tty
It seems that something wrong happens with distribution making.

> There's another problem with xterm not being able to get a pty
> that I'll have to look into.
>
> Also, now when I try to `vipw` I get this error:
> # vipw
> vipw: /stand/ee: Undefined error: 0
> vipw: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged
>
> There is no /stand/ee. Obviously this was not a problem in 2.1R.

Your EDITOR env. somehow points to /stand/ee, change it
to your editor.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -