Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:30:52 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>, "Patrick Thomas" <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: need tunings for a loaded freeBSD firewall

Hi,

> >Recently, for reasons I cannot discern, it is choking
> > on traffic.  Most ftp transfers run at 5-8 Kb/s (as opposed to
300-500 K)
> > and pings with large packet sizes drop a lot of packets.

> What kind of nic's do you use?
> I had similar problems with a firewall, allthough it had a much
> higher throughput then 2MBit/s.
> I solved it by rewriting some ipfw rules and change nic's.
> When switching the 3Com 905's to a couple of Intel Etherexpress
> Pro 10/100 the performance increased and the load on the machine
> decreased.

I once faced similar problems on a Linux router. Found out, that NIC and
switch couldn't agree on half- or full-duplex, switching in second
rhythm between both of them. So to be sure, check if your setup is still
consistent with regard to speed/duplex of your connection. Auto
negotiation simply fails in some cases due to ambiguous specifications.

BTW, my problem stayed with both the Linux 2.2 and the 3com drivers for
my 905c and only disappeared after upgrading to Linux 2.4, so guess.

Ciao
Siegbert