Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 23:05:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which tools can back up inodes with 32bit minor numbers ?

It seems that J Wunsch said:
> This is however only useful when _not_ using the `u' flag.

Not  only   in this  case.   Something which is  great    with dump  is the
interactive restore part of it...

> Since dump works i-node wise, the question is how to handle partial
> dumps if not all hard links of a file are to be backed up.  This would
> end in a restore that could break their links.

I agree this can be a problem.

> > 2. use of the old format to be able to view or restore on something other
> >    than 4.4BSD as the dump in 4.4BSD-based system is only recoverable from
> >    another one.
>
> What are the differences?

Handling of directories and some different sizes I think. Ask Rémy, he gave
me the details but I forgot them :-)

> compatibility could use it.  (I for myself have half a dozen or more
> 4.4BSD systems around, but not even a single 4.2BSD/4.3BSD derivative,
> so it's apparently a moot point for me. :)

Well I used to  have a SunOS laptop and  sometimes, being able to cope with
dumps made on it would have been useful.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #12: Sun Jun 30 14:10:07 MET DST 1996