Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:18:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making 'lpd' under FreeBSD more secure

<<On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:29:17 -0500, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> said:

> I think lpd needs root access for more than just binding to the
> port, although I haven't looked at the code yet to remember why
> I think that...  Still, someone recently went thru the other

I was working on a rewrite of lpd at the beginning of the year which
unfortunately got stalled.  It's possible to have an lpd which runs
unprivileged if you give up on hosts.lpd ``authentication'' and are
willing to abandon a few other features.  Much more useful, in my
view, would be work to make lpr run unprivileged -- which is fairly
easy to do, conceptually, but hard in practice.

-GAWollman