Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 1995 16:04:44 -0600
From:      awd@ddg.com (Andrew W. Donoho)
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        awd@ddg.com
Subject:   Re: ep Driver and the 3c509B-TPO

>Roger and FreeBSD folks,
>
>You wrote:
>>You should be able to boot DOS and run the 3C5X9cfg.exe program
>>and disable auto-sensing; you can select whether you want the
>>AUI, TP, or Coax on combos; or AUI/TP, AUI/Coax on other cards.
>
>Thanks for the suggestion...
>
>I tried that but since this card only supports 10baseT, the Autosensing is
>permanently on. The config program you suggested will not allow me to
>change that setting.

I have just gotten off of the phone with 3com tech support (impressive
support for a $99.00 board). We jointly discovered a way to get around
their limitations for the Autosensing. You do it by saving your current
settings to a .set file and then edit with a text editor. When you reload
it, it doesn't bother to "validity check" the input. If there is interest,
I would be happy to provide my settings file to the net.

Once this has been done, the card is identified and apparently turned on...
The install floppy kernel then crashes with a "Fatal Trap 12: page fault
while in kernel mode"

fault virtual address   = 0x6d6d6d6d
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf010bb91
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask          = net tty
panic: page fault

So when I reset the autosensing function, the kernel no longer crashes but
I'm back to the system booting but not using the card. The initial boot
does not find it but allows you to specify it when it gets to the network
install phase.

So, I now think that we have a problem with the fact that the 3c509b card
has twice the buffer space of the previous edition (4K -> 8K). Anybody else
seeing these problems???

Andrew Donoho
awd@ddg.com