Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:00:12 -0800
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow DNS - Follow-Up

Okay, I wrote in a few days ago about some DNS problems I had at work.
After getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out the specific
hardware info for a TGUI 9680 graphics card (I wanted to do it fast because
I had an NT guy standing behind me saying that Unix was too hard and stuff
-- I wanted to prove him wrong -- oh well -- Now, I'll just have to prove
that Unix is more stable, faster, better than NT which shouldn't be a
problem), I reinstalled with just the Kernel-Development option because I'm
just going to end up putting this machine in some corner of the room or
something.

At first I tried using "The Complete FreeBSD" book as my guide for writing
the DNS stuff.  I guess I either didn't follow it correctly, or I just
totally screwed it all up when I tried to moidfy his example for my network.

I did a Yahoo! search and found http://www.verinet.com/dns/ which did a
great job of giving me some examples.  I redid all the DNS files and stuff,
then I fired it up.  Now it's blazingly fast and kicks ass. :)

I had mentioned that I had thought that was possibly network traffic
slowing things down, because the Windows machines had a hardtime browsing
each other.  Well I found out another thing.  When the experimental NT was
up, everything was slow (heh - typical).  Don't kow why.  Also, since my
original DNS stuff was screwed I guess the lookups were slow.  Although,
that had nothing to do with slowing the network down.

Now that the FreeBSD box is running tight.  I have to figure out what's the
problem with  NT server.

For those that had replied before -- Thanks!!

Joey