Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2007 03:30:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Frans Haarman <F.Haarman@giessen.nl>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ggate or nfs

--- Frans Haarman <F.Haarman@giessen.nl> wrote:
> Hi, we are running a pretty intesive Backup solution which stores the
> contents of the backup in 256KB files on NFS.
> We are often loosing our NFS mounts, and suspect more troubles with NFS.

Ohoh

> I was wondering:
> a) Would you use ggate instead of NFS

Nope... :-)
Because: If NFS fails, ggate might have the same problem... Somehow I would try
to find out, why NFS fails... And finally: NFS allows multiple write access,
while ggate can only allow one single write access...

> b) How good this ggatec & ggated is running in production

The ggate code is newer than the NFS implementation...
ggate's approach is much easier, but might react more funny on ur special
situation.

> c) What tests you would recommend

Setup a reference (test) system and try to use it as ur backup file server
(BUT: Do not forget ur real (production) backup during the test)... :)

-Arne

Never miss an email again!