Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:37:56 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@izr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing Exchange

Giorgos Keramidas (keramida@ceid.upatras.gr) wrote:
> Another feature that does not work with some MTA other than Exchange
> is the shared `group folders' that Outlook can read from an Exchange
> server.  This is very similar to USENET newsgroups in functionality,
> and I usually prefer to install a local News server instead of
> depending on Exchange to do that work for me.

You can implement shared folder/bulletin boards/whatever you call them
with the cyrus imapd (ports/mail/cyrus-imapd). These folders have to be
setup by the administrator (unless the users want to get personal with
'man cryadm') although it would be quite trivial to make a web based
configuration utility for the users to do it themselves. The access
control is very granular -- you could allow users B and C to read one of
user A's mailboxes but only B to post to that box.

Cyrus has a fairly steep learning curve (I'm learning now) but all
reports say it's worth the initial headache. It's very scalable and
flexible enough for almost every situation.

Hope this helps,

--

Mark Drayton