Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:37:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Ade Barkah wrote:

> Actually, this is not needed. The same set of permissions which
> prevents QPOP from creating the .user.pop file also prevents it
> from removing the lock file. =-)

    It complains about not being able to remove the file though,
doesn't it?  I don't know, since I haven't experimented with it (I use
a mode 1777 /var/mail/.tmp).

>    popper[20737]: @remote-host: -ERR POP EOF received
>
> Any ideas why this might be happening ? I'm sure I'm not the only
> one seeing many of these. It seems like a chronic problem on the
> client side.

    Hrmmmm... I remember some sort of problem like that with an older
2.1.x qpopper that forced me to go back to the cac.washington.edu
POP daemon.  I'm a Pine user myself, so POP-related problems don't
usually surface unless I can force myself to use Netscape to read mail
(ick!) and look for anomalies.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.