Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:32:26 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, julian@whistle.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: scsi drives left locked by shutdown

Garrett Wollman stands accused of saying:

> > I second the motion of adding "detach" routines... it's very necessary
> > for rundown on pluggable hardware (which, by definition, is also
> > unpluggable).  The driver needs to be able to "rundown" at any time.
>
> This was, of course, one of the principal features of devconf, which
> Poul-Henning ripped out some months ago without so much as a
> by-your-leave and has yet to even discuss a replacement for.

Er.  Having been through the device-driver authoring process a couple
of times now, this is new to me.

In all my research, I don't believe I ever turned up any documentation
on devconf, or any inkling that it actually achieved anything other
than as a somewhat complex backend to 'lsdev'.  I certainly don't
recall seeing anything that implied that it supported drivers 'going
away', nor any indication that it fitted in with the other major
'transient device' model (PCCARD).

If it had been your pet project on which you were spending lots of
time, I would sympathise with your ire; as it is I'm just surprised.