Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 05:12:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's the 3.0 press release?

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Studded wrote:

> 	"But we have warnings that it's experimental.... yadda yadda." We all
> know that almost no one reads the release docs, and we've already seen a
> small part of the fallout. I think it could only get worse by drawing
> more attention to it.

I agree it's not something I think we should be touting as stable
incarnate. But do we really want to let this not get a PR.
This is 3.0. A MAJOR release. And while I grant you it may not be the most
stable or debugged version, this is a major milestone for the project.

A major release doesnt happen every day. And I agree that putting in
"... while slated at primarily developers and ISP's that have knowledgable
staff..." is not going to really persaude anyone to wait for 3.1 or 2.2.8,
when they read the PR. Just my opinion. If it's an absolute trashy release
thats going to cause the support questions in usenet and IRC to flame up
1000% then it might not be such a hot idea. But I do think there is some
merrit in this release and it deserves a little press.

But the loudest voices here will prevail, so now is the time for everyone
to speak up. What does everyone think?

Chris

--
"You both seem to be ignoring the fact that the networking market is
driven by so-called 'IT professionals' these days, most of whom can't

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.7 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security