Date:      18 May 2001 10:10:16 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6 on FreeBSD 4.3

Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com> writes:

> Greetings again. I was amazed not to see anything in the archives
> about this. FreeBSD 4.3 comes with Perl 5.005 installed. I need to run
> Perl 5.6 for some of the programs I'm bringing over. In
> /usr/ports/lang/perl5, it says:
>

> >This port is marked FORBIDDEN as it conflics badly with the Perl5
> >that is in the 'base' system. Sysadmins and users who know how to
> >override this may do so, and must accept the risk of doing so.
>
> That's not very helpful. Is there a known safe way of installing Perl
> 5.6 and keeping the two installations parallel? I'm happy to have it
> installed as /usr/bin/perl5.6 or something like that.

The way I've approached this is to install perl 5.6.1 from
source. Once this is done,
ln -s /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/perl5.6.1

vi /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk

and change the version number of PERL to 5.6.1. This is so that ports
will build for the correct version of perl.

Lastly, in my /etc/make.conf, I have
NOPERL = true

so that I don't overwrite my perl version when I make world/

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk