Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 2003 08:56:42 -0500
From:      "Bill Moran" <bill_moran2@hotmail.com>
To:        y.grossel@hexanet.fr, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: promiscuous mode / strange ethernet packets duplication problem

>From: Yann GROSSEL <y.grossel@hexanet.fr>
>
>Hi,
>
>We have several FreeBSD 4.7 boxes that put automatically
>all their interfaces into promiscuous mode during the
>boot process. What should I do to prevent this from
>happening ?
>
>Our boxes are connected on a D-Link switch. We have noticed
>a very weird behaviour from a few of these machines, I'll
>try yo explain it :
>
>Our switch has a standard MAC address aging value of 300 seconds.
>When one MAC address expires on the switch, the next packet targeted
>to this MAC address is broadcasted on all ports of the switch (because
>the switch doesn't remember anymore on what port the target MAC address
>is). That at least seems to be normal.
>
>But each time an ethernet packet broadcasted as descrbibed above arrives
>on the interfaces of our machines, these machines resend the packet to
>the network, decrementing the TTL value bye one. I mean, these machines
>are resending packets that are NOT targeted to them - neither the
>destination MAC address OR the destination IP address of the packet
>match the interface of the machine.
>
>This happends only on machines with interfaces in promiscuous mode
>AND with net.inet.ip.forwarding = 1.

There's your answer.  Any machine with forwarding turned on will resend
a packet that isn't destin for it.  That's by design.
It doesn't make much sense to me that you'd have a lot of machines with
forwarding turned on.  Usually only gateways use this.  Honestly, I
can't thing of any reason to have forwarding on if your machine only
has 1 IP address.

>As several boxes have this problem, they resend packets to each others
>very quickly, generating a flood on the network. This flood only stop
>when all TTL of packets reach 0 or when the switch finally re-learn
>on what port is located the interface with the target MAC address.
>
>Does anybody have any clue about what this kind of problem may be ?

Turn forwarding of on all but your gateways.

-Bill