Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 00:56:37 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Highpoint HPT370 RAID/Promise ATA100 Horror Stories Please??

Right....for anyone that's been following my week long attempt to install FreeBSD (thanks
to those of you who have helped...althoguh it's seemed to be more sympathy than help
:+) ), I think I'm going to buy myself a PCI IDE controller, as I think the common
non-working factor is the . I've narrowed the list down to...

Highpoint HPT370 based ATA100/RAID card (probably the iwill Side RAID 100 as it's the only
one I can find available in the UK)
or
Promise Ultra ATA100 card

Does anyone know of any problems with either of these cards in 4.1-Release specifically?
Actually having said that, I notice on a search of the freebsd site that the 370
specifically is supported from 4.2-release onwards - is this as a RAID card or at all?

Will they work at all? I'm not bothered about the RAID functionality at this time (that
can come later, or not at all), I just want to be able to boot. I understand that by
setting my mobo bios to boot to "SCSI" first it will boot to the PCI IDE card, so that
should be okay.

So...horror stories please, put me off. Or happy lovely stories about either card and how
fantastically they work with FreeBSD (any 4.x version).

Mark