Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:41:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New Laptop: i810: HELP

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> * John Utz <john@utzweb.net> [020429 12:02]:
> > well xf86 reports an illegal opcode. that's bad.

I'm pretty sure that is the primary problem.  I have a similar problem
with a Toshiba Satellite 1005-S157.  These notes are based upon my
memory from troubleshooting a few monthes ago.

> Here is the latest log for reference:
>
> XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 18 January 2002
> 	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
> 	newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
> 	reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
> Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.5 i386 [ELF]
> Module Loader present
> (WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
> c000:01a2: 62 ILLEGAL X86 OPCODE!

I think both of these messages are related to the problem.  I'm not
positive if there is a problem mapping the video BIOS or if the video
BIOS actually has an invalid checksum.

Looking at the XFree 4.2 code, It looks like there is an internal
80x86 machine emulator used to switch screen modes.  I added some
trace code to XFree86 and it looked like reasonable code up to this
point.  Opcode 0x62 is not implemented in the emulator, but I added
crude emulation for it and got a little farther in the execution
before things died again.

I needed to get some specific work done so I loaded RedHat 7.2 on
another partition and have been using that for a while.  Last week I
started working with FreeBSD again and the audio problems seem to be
resolved in -stable, leaving X as my last major stumbling block (apm
and a few other things also had/have problems).

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone