Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:39:14 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lots of signal 11's?

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:33:59AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> > > Has anyone else started seeing lots of sig11's on recent -current?
> > Could it be related to the gcc upgrade?
> It's possible.  I was interested in knowing whether anyone else is
> seeing it, or if it's something local.

I'm seeing it too now.  It's definitely not gcc-related, since it
appeared after I updated my kernel - the exact same userland ran fine
with the previous kernel.  Gdb wasn't much help:

des@dsa /sys/alpha/compile/DSA% gdb =as as.core
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "alpha-undermydesk-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `as'.

warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding

warning: enclosing function for address 0x120069164
This warning occurs if you are debugging a function without any symbols
(for example, in a stripped executable).  In that case, you may wish to
increase the size of the search with the `set heuristic-fence-post' command.

Otherwise, you told GDB there was a function where there isn't one, or
(more likely) you have encountered a bug in GDB.
#0  0x120069164 in ?? ()
des@dsa /sys/alpha/compile/DSA% which as
/usr/bin/as
des@dsa /sys/alpha/compile/DSA% file =as
/usr/bin/as: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1 (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.0, statically linked, stripped
des@dsa /sys/alpha/compile/DSA% gdb as.core
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "alpha-undermydesk-freebsd"..."/usr/src/sys/alpha/compile/DSA/as.core": not in executable format: File format not recognized

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org