Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 02:12:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

>> It would seem to me that your best bet would be to consider making a
>> custom version of 'getty' with libvgl, since getty is going to
>> determine how idle time between logins should be handled.  That's
>> pretty well out of syscons's jurisdiction.
>> Actually, making just such a thing just got put on my TODO list.
> It's a very short step from there to a semi-graphical login (eg. login
> dialog rather than login/password prompt.)  I could see people liking
> that.

Good point, although the graphical login window is really best handled
by xdm, and I don't really see people wanting a graphical login window
being requested without a full graphics system (ie, X).

Okay, let me get opinions:

* What do people want?  I see a couple of possibilities:
1. A graphical idle screen that shows things like fractals or bitmaps
with rotating palettes,
2. Something that shows some useful system stats (number of users,
system load, memory usage), possibly floating on a 'pretty'
background,
3. Something that shows just a login window

* Is this really going to be the best way to go about it?

* Has somebody else already done this?

* What other thoughts does anybody have?

I'll probably start working on this tonight or tomorrow, but
suggestions will be appreciated through the life of this thing's
work.

Best,
joelh

--