Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:40:38 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        tim@scratch.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wwwoffle - or other - configuration problems

tim@scratch.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Netscape45-navigator - The document contained no data.
> 	Try again later, or contact the server's administrator
>
> Lynx - Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
>        Alert!: Unable to access document.

I think that happens when you haven't configured who can connect. If an
unauthorized user connects, the connection is dropped immediately.
Configure the LocalHost, LocalNet, and AllowedConnectHosts sections to
allow your IP address (it should allow 127.0.0.1 by default though). Is
anything recorded in the log at that time? I'm not sure what
facility/level wwwoffle logs at, but if you have something like

*.*	/var/log/all

in syslog.conf you'll get everything dumped in there to inspect.

> Ive had a look at this - maybe I can sort this one out, but what do I
> read the sendmail.st log with.

mailstats looks like it might, I'm not sure though since I don't use
sendmail. Its manpage certainly mentions /var/log/sendmail.st

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key