Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:49:04 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matrox Millenium II 4MB - Resolution

Andrew Boothman writes:
> Hi!
>
> I've got a Matox Millenium II 4MB installed in my 3.1-RELEASE system.
>
> Under XF86Setup, I've tried selecting different resolutions, but the X server
> refuses to start if a resolution higher then 640x480 is chosen. I've definately
> got the correct card selected from the list in XF86Setup, and I've told it how
> much RAM is on the card, because the README says that memory probing can be a
> problem.
>
> One possible reason is the monitor which I got second-hand, and hence I don't
> know much about it. I'd say it's about 14"-15" and is a Digital PCXBV-SC but
> doesn't appear to be mentioned on Digital's web site. Is it possible that the
> monitor is able to stop the X server from starting?
>
> I'd be really greatful for any help or comments. 640x480 is far to painful! :-)

Works for me:
vga0: <Matrox MGA 2164W graphics accelerator> rev 0x00 int a irq 15 on pci0.12.0

You might start at Matrox's web site http://www.matrox.com/ and look
for updates. Apparently the Mill II has flashable BIOS, and Matrox has
provided several updates. A new BIOS might be just what is needed for
XFree86 to get started. Or maybe get the card initialized correctly at
RESET, so XFree86 knows what to do about it.