Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 05:36:44 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error: your port uses an old layout. Please update it to  matchthis bsd.port.mk. - SOLVED

In message <39EBC472.87CA4DD7@urx.com>, Kent Stewart writes:

> Brett Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Hi John
> >
> > On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 jdp@polstra.com wrote:

> > > That all looks correct to me.  Do you remember exactly which empty
> > > directories didn't get removed?
> >
> > I didn't do a complete check through as I figured out the problem pretty
> > fast from watching -ports and looking at the new bsd.port.mk.
> >
> > I know at least one of them was png and it seems like plan was another.
> >
> > I should have done a closer check, but I knew what the problem was so I
> > just fixed it wo/ thinking.  :-)
>
> There is a generic remnant and they are all like
>
> ruby# find . -name COMMENT -print
> ./archivers/pkg/COMMENT
> ./astro/pkg/COMMENT
> ./audio/pkg/COMMENT
> ./benchmarks/pkg/COMMENT
> ./biology/pkg/COMMENT
> ./cad/pkg/COMMENT
> ./chinese/pkg/COMMENT
> ./comms/pkg/COMMENT
> ./converters/pkg/COMMENT
> ./databases/pkg/COMMENT
> ./deskutils/pkg/COMMENT
>
> This goes on for all of the categories.
>
> FWIW, I hadn't done anything and png didn't have a pkg directory.
>
> Kent

FWIW, the find above on my server at home reports the same output as
yours, however I am able to build plan and png.

bsd.port.mk produces these messages when PORTNAME, PORTVERSION, and
PKGNAME are undefined:

if !defined(PORTNAME) || !defined(PORTVERSION) || defined(PKGNAME)
.BEGIN:
        @${ECHO} "${PKGNAME}: You need to define PORTNAME and
PORTVERSION instea
d of PKGNAME."
        @${ECHO} "(This port is too old for your bsd.port.mk, please
update it t
o match"
        @${ECHO} " your bsd.port.mk.)"
        @${FALSE}
.endif

This code was added to bsd.port.mk two port system upgrades ago.  I
suspect you've got some ancient ports in your ports tree

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC