Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 21:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Val <val@hcol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 10baset/utp option?

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Val wrote:

> > > the card itself has 100 and 10 mbps activity lights.
> > > The manual for it also mentions operations at 10mbps.
> > > So i guess freebsd doesn't support this mode of operation?
> >
> > It should, but your card is apparently telling the driver that it doesn't
> > support 10BaseT.
> >
> > Try cold-booting the system and/or using any setup utility you may have
> > received from the manufacturer to reconfigure the media settings.  It may
> > be forced to 100mbit.
> well,
> the setup and diag software let's me run a network test through 10Mbps hub
> from one machine to the other (boot to dos, run diag, network test, one is
> slave, the other is master).
> The setup doesn't give an option for media select though :(
> I am no c guru, but i looked trough definition files for dec network cards
> and it seemed to me that my card is little bit too new.
> it has a lot of options for 21142 chip, but mine is 21143.  I tried to
> duplicate some of them, and recompile the kernel, but it didn't see any
> changes.  If any brave soul who knows c wants to send me the updated
> source files/kernel i would be glad to try them on these network cards.
> If anyone wants to hack the kernel directly on that machine let me know,
> and i will put machine up on the internet since it's going in to
> production only 20 days from now.

The media types reported by 'ifconfig -m' are the ones reported by the
card itself, so it's saying it doesn't support those speeds (or they're
not wrapping on your terminal).

For reference this is what my 21140 NIC says:

de0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:c0:f0:16:3f:1d
        media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

It's possible the 21143 needs some extra massaging.